Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Update #1 - Still in training

The thought of blogging had never occurred to me.  However a week ago I was sittin around with some friends from church and one of them suggested I create one to keep my family and friends updated throughout my summer.  I though why not?  I'm a funny guy (that one's for you Ryan) and I've been told I'm capable of writing at a 9th grade level, so let's do this.  

Now that school is out I'm able to devote much more time to my training.  I picked up a month long membership to this gym in Carmel where they offer lots of spinning classes.  For those of you unfamiliar with spinning or you think it's just something that middle aged women do, let me clear the air.  Spinning is interval training on a stationary bike in a group setting.  And in my limited experience with spinning, yes, it's something that just middle aged women do...and me.  However, these women are the weekend warrior types.  Seriously, they just don't get tired.  I wouldn't be surprised if some of them were linked to baseball's Mitchell Report.  I only make these excuses for myself because as they're cranking out miles I'm dripping sweat and sucking air tryin to keep up.  

I always laugh to myself when I listen to the pump up music played during these classes.  Since the class is primarily women, the music suits them.  While I'm struggling to continue pedaling I have the pleasure of listening to playlists consisting of Pink, Lady Gaga, and other absolute favorites of college males.  I'll tell ya what folks, few things get me more hyped than the driving baseline of Miley Cyrus' "See you again."  Sometimes I feel like I'm listening to the soundtrack of "The Birdcage" where Robin Williams and Nathan Lane play owners of a gay club in Miami.  By that I mean I wouldn't be surprised if I heard "It's rainin men" come on as the next track.  It's quite an experience.  Every now and then the playlist will tease me with some Kanye or Tom Petty but then it's back to Y-M-C-A!... Village People bashing aside, these spin classes are getting me in great shape to take on the mountains out west.  

In addition to my spinning I'm making 2 or 3 long rides outdoors each week where I'll either train for sustained endurance or hills.  I used to lift a lot but began to taper the weight training when I made the sad realization that my bench press wouldn't really help me in our mountain climbs.  I've only got 2.5 weeks left until the Journey begins and I am excited to fly out to Seattle and meet the rest of the team.  I'll be sure to post again once I'm there for orientation.  Thanks again for all the support and thanks for reading.

David  

No comments:

Post a Comment