Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Journey of Hope Description

Here's the fundraising letter I sent out last semester to almost 300 family and friends.  It gives a good description of the mission of Push America and why I decided to take on the Journey.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Friends,

I have decided to ride a bicycle across the country this summer!  From Seattle to Washington D.C., I will be cycling more than 4,000 miles across deserts, over mountains and through rain and heat.  On June 11, 2009 I will join 70 other students who will ride from Seattle to begin this summer challenge.  We are from colleges across the country and together we will complete the Journey of Hope, a 68 day bicycle trek to benefit Push America.  Push America is the national philanthropy of Pi Kappa Phi Fraternity whose mission is to raise funds and awareness on behalf of people with disabilities.   

I have been involved with Push America since joining Pi Kappa Phi three years ago.  Through my volunteer work with Project AccessABILITY on behalf of Push America, I have learned a great deal about what people with disabilities can do.  Project AccessABILITY is a grant financed service project where students build wheelchair ramps for families in need in the Purdue area.  This is one example of the many meaningful experiences I have had serving with Push.  Through this work, I have realized that there is a need nationwide to educate people on the abilities of people with disabilities.

This summer I plan to share my experiences with others during the Journey of Hope.  Through presentations, specials events, and an innovative puppet show, my teammates and I will reach thousands of people with a message of acceptance and understanding of people with disabilities.  Before the journey begins, we will raise more than $500,000 in support of the projects and programs of Push America.

I am very excited about this once in a lifetime opportunity, and have committed myself to raising more than $7,500 in support of Push America by April 17, 2009.  However, I need your help.  I am making a personal appeal to my family and friends to join me in my efforts.  Please support me as I serve others by making a tax-deductible contribution to Push America.  Your gift will go a long way in helping to affect the lives of some very special people.  These donations will serve people with disabilities primarily through grants and building projects.

Please feel free to contact me at dastinnette@gmail.com with any questions about the project.  Thank you for your support! 

Peace,

David

No comments:

Post a Comment